Working Guidelines of the NAFSA Rainbow Special Interest Group
The name of this NAFSA Special Interest Group shall be the Rainbow SIG.
The mission of the Rainbow SIG is to bring together NAFSANs who share the following goals:
- to counsel international students and study abroad students who are gay, lesbian, bisexual,
- to support gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, and transgendered professionals in international education
- to combat homophobia, heterosexism, and transphobia within NAFSA
No assumptions of an individual's sexual orientation should be made from
their participation in the SIG. Any member of NAFSA who espouses the mission of the
Rainbow SIG may become a member by completing a membership form, renewable on an annual basis.
Dues & Fees
No dues or fees are required for membership; however, an optional annual Activity Fee (to cover newsletter costs, brochure development, mailings, etc.) of between $5.00 to $10.00 is suggested.
The elected officers of the organization shall include: two Co-Chairs, a Listserve Manager; a Membership Coordinator, a Newsletter Editor, a Treasurer, and a Web Site Manager.
Officers shall serve for two-year terms, being elected at the annual meeting of the SIG held at the NAFSA annual conference. An individual may hold up to two positions simultaneously.
Qualification for office shall be membership in the Rainbow SIG.
Duties of Officers
Co-Chairs shall serve overlapping terms, one new co-chair elected at each annual meeting, and shall
Listserve Manager shall
- chair the annual business meetings
- communicate with and solicit input from SIG members
- serve as the primary spokespersons for the SIG
- be responsible for all media and external relations for the SIG in a
manner consistent with the views of the SIG as a whole
- initiate and coordinate recruitment of volunteers to help with the
work of the SIG
- prepare a written annual report of activities
- authorize expenditures of funds
Membership Coordinator shall
- manage the SIG Listserve (Rainbow)
Newsletter Editor shall
- maintain a database of membership records
- coordinate the recording of the minutes of annual meetings
- coordinate and manage all elections
- oversee the collection, organization and maintenance of SIG records
- solicit articles for the newsletter
- produce and mail two newsletters per year to the membership
Web Site Manager shall
- act as account manager for all SIG funds
- prepare an annual financial report
- provide the Co-Chairs with relevant information needed for responsible financial management
- manage the SIGs Web site in cooperation with a SIG member at Indiana University, where the site is currently resident
The Advisory Board shall consist of the officers plus as many additional SIG members who volunteer to serve and are elected by a show of hands at the annual meeting of the SIG, and shall
Nominations & Elections
- cooperatively set an agenda for the SIG based upon suggestions from SIG members
- facilitate timely two-way communication between the Board and SIG members on matters perceived as important to constituents
- serve as an advocacy group on matters related to development, education, and other issues of concern to SIG members
A call for nominations will be distributed via the web site and the list-serve in advance of the annual meeting at which time elections are conducted. Elections shall be conducted by a show of hands.
Indiana University Office of Overseas Study
Copyright 2000, The Trustees of Indiana University
site url: http://www.indiana.edu/~overseas/lesbigay
Comments: NAFSA: Rainbow SIG