Three Indiana University students were recently awarded David L. Boren Scholarships for the academic year 2017-2018 and eight Indiana University students were awarded Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarships for summer 2017 to pursue studies overseas.
David L. Boren 2017-2018 academic year scholarships
- Erin Patterson, a sophomore triple majoring in History, International Studies and Slavic East European Languages and Culture (Russian) with minors in Spanish and REEI (Russian and East European Institute) received a $10,000 scholarship to study in Almaty, Kazakhstan for Summer 2017 and Fall 2017.
- Sabrina Tish, a senior double majoring in International Studies and Central Eurasian Studies, received a $7,155 scholarship to study in Baku, Azerbaijan as part of her Capstone year in the Turkish Flagship program.
- Rachael Wehrle, a senior majoring in Journalism with a minor in Central Eurasian Studies, received a $20,000 scholarship to study in Baku, Azerbaijan as part of her Capstone year in the Turkish Flagship program.
Benjamin A. Gilman summer 2017 scholarships
- Stacey Adjei, a junior majoring in Exercise Science with a minor in Spanish, received a $3,500 scholarship to study in Santiago, Chile.
- Jaycee Chapman, a junior majoring in Anthropology with a minor in East Asian Languages, received a $4,500 scholarship to study at the Olduvai Gorge Summer Field School in Tanzania.
- Gwynneth Hurley, a sophomore majoring in Journalism with a minor in Spanish, received a $3,000 scholarship to study with the Media School's "Reporting HIV/AIDS in Africa" program.
- Haley Klimaszewski, a junior majoring in Biochemistry with a certificate in Liberal Arts and Management, received a $3,000 scholarship to study in Barcelona, Spain.
- Andria McHugh, a junior majoring in Social Work, received a $3,000 scholarship to study in Santiago, Dominican Republic.
- Victoria Myhand, a freshman majoring in History, received a $500 scholarship to study in Florence, Italy.
- Shahin Saberi, a junior double majoring in Neuroscience and Biology with a minor in history, received a $3,500 scholarship to study in Alcala, Spain.
- Jacob Springer, a senior majoring in Sports Marketing and Management with a minor in Business, received a $3,000 scholarship to study in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
The David L. Boren awards are sponsored by the National Security Education Program (NSEP) and provide students with resources and encouragement to acquire language skills and experience in countries critical to the future security and stability of our nation. In exchange for funding, Boren award recipients agree to work in the federal government for a period of at least one year. Online applications for the 2018-2019 academic year open in late August. For more information, visit the Boren Awards website.
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and administered by the Institute of International Education. Online applications for spring and summer 2018 awards will open mid-August, 2017. For more information, visit the Gilman Program website.
Information about study abroad at IU is available through the Office of Overseas Study. Contact the office by phone at 812-855-9304.
Office of Overseas Study
Leo R. Dowling International Center
111 South Jordan Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405-7709