Buenos Aires is a large, Latin American metropolis with varied architecture and strong European influences. Students on the co-sponsored Language and Culture summer program enroll in center-based culture and Spanish courses alongside other students from U.S. universities.
Summer Intensive Spanish Language
This application has closed.
Summer 2019: 5/19 - 7/13
- Program Organization
- This is an IU Co-Sponsored Program
- Summer Program with Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) at the Facultad Latinoamericana de Ciencias Sociales (FLACSO), the most prestigious teaching program in the social sciences in Latin America
- Typical enrollment: 9-12 students from U.S. colleges and universities
- Academic Program
- Summer Intensive Spanish Language* track
- Courses taught in Spanish with opportunities for cultural or language immersion
- Formal instruction and experiential and cultural activities in small groups
- 10 IU credits (Students take three (3) Spanish language classes at the level indicated by their results on a placement exam taken in Buenos Aires.)
- Course Selection (based on results of placement exam):
- Language Level: Beginning Spanish II
- Beginning Spanish Language II (4 cr)
- Beginning Spanish Language II Oral Communication and Culture (3 cr)
- Beginning Spanish Language II Reading and Writing Workshop (3 cr)
- Language Level: Intermediate Spanish I
- Intermediate Spanish Language I (4 cr)
- Intermediate Spanish Language I Oral Communication and Culture (3 cr)
- Intermediate Spanish Language I Reading and Writing Workshop (3 cr)
- Language Level: Intermediate Spanish II
- Intermediate Spanish Language II (4 cr)
- Intermediate Spanish Language II Oral Communication and Culture (3 cr)
- Intermediate Spanish Language II Reading and Writing Workshop (3 cr)
- Language Level: Advanced Spanish I
- Advanced Spanish Language I (4 cr)
- Advanced Spanish Language I Oral Communication and Culture (3 cr)
- Advanced Spanish Language I Reading and Writing Workshop (3 cr)
- Language Level: Beginning Spanish II
Course Equivalencies: Please see the Buenos Aires-CIEE course equivalency list for program enrollment requirements and a list of IU course equivalencies that students have received in the past.
*Note: IU selectively co-sponsors CIEE program offerings, including the one described on this page, but not all CIEE tracks/offerings. Please contact Overseas Study for clarification.
- Additional Information
- Argentinian homes
- Program Eligibility
You may apply if you:
- are an undergraduate student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress
- are in at least your third full-time semester of college
- have taken or are enrolled in second semester college-level Spanish with a B average
- have approximately a 2.75 cumulative GPA
Complete eligibility criteria and selection criteria are outlined within the Academic Policies and Procedures of the Office of Overseas Study. Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant. Students on disciplinary probation during program period are ineligible.
- Costs and Financial Aid
- IU portion of fee: $228.00
- CIEE portion of fee*: $7,837.50 (includes academic fees, housing, most meals, orientation, field trips and insurance)
- Meals: $525
- International Airfare: CIEE estimates $1,300 for East Coast departure
- See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
*Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students. Based on published CIEE materials. Indiana University cannot guarantee the prices charged by CIEE and is not responsible for any price increase or change.Program qualifies for need-based CIEE Overseas Study Program Specific Scholarships. Applications should be submitted to Overseas Study at the time of program application.
Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional. Initial prepayment of $500 due March 8, 2019.
Financial Aid and Scholarships:
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- CIEE scholarships and grants available.
Please see our financial aid page for general information and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
- Program Contacts