The commercial and financial capital of Italy, Milan is a bustling city full of opportunities to intern in a variety of industries. The Milan-IES summer internship co-sponsored program offers hands-on work experience for participants in numerous fields. Students take an Italian language course and earn internship credit by completing an internship seminar at the IES Abroad center with other program participants.
This application has closed.
Summer 2019: 5/27 - 7/25
- Program Organization
- This is an IU Co-Sponsored Program
- Summer Internship Program with IES Abroad
- IES Abroad Center located near the campus of Universita Cattolica
- Typical enrollment: 20-30 students from U.S. colleges and universities
- Field trips and cultural events offered by IES Abroad
- Academic Program
- "Milan Summer Internship" Program track*
- Unpaid internship
- At least 25 hours / 4-5 days per week
- Placements available in accounting, advertising & marketing, arts (art gallery, music studio production, theater), business & finance, communications, design, e-commerce, education, fashion, logistics, not-for-profit organizations, publishing
- Required language class
- Orientation program covering cultural and practical information
- 6 IU credits
- 3 credit language course (beginning, intermediate or advanced)
- 3 credit academic internship seminar
*Note: IU selectively co-sponsors IES Abroad program offerings, including the one described on this page, but not all IES Abroad tracks/offerings. Please contact Overseas Study for clarification.
- Additional Information
- Furnished apartments with fully-equipped kitchens are single-sex, and generally accommodate three to six students, with two to three IES Abroad students sharing a bedroom. Internet access is provided.
- Student residence hall at the Collegio di Milano with Italian and international students. Students have a private bedroom and bathroom.
- Program Eligibility
You may apply if you:
- are an undergraduate student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress
- are in at least your fourth full-time semester of college
- have approximately a 2.75 cumulative GPA
No Italian language background required. Students with more advanced Italian will have a wider array of internship options available.
Complete eligibility criteria and selection criteria are outlined within the Academic Policies and Procedures of the Office of Overseas Study. Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant. Students on disciplinary probation during program period are ineligible.
- Costs and Financial Aid
- IU portion of fee: $228.00
- IES Abroad portion of fee* paid to IU bursar: $7,600 (IES Abroad academic fees, room, health insurance)
- Meals: $375 - $1,600
- International Airfare: $950 - $1,700
- See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details
*Based on published IES materials. Indiana University cannot guarantee the prices charged by IES and is not responsible for any price increase or change.
Personal expenses and vacation travel additional. Initial prepayment of $500 due February 4, 2019.
Financial Aid and Scholarships:
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- IES Abroad Merit-based, Diversity Scholarships, Legacy Scholarships and Disability Grants available.
- For Business students: Kelley School of Business Overseas Study Scholarships
Please see our financial aid page for general information and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
- Program Contacts
Student Services Coordinator
Helps students navigate the application process and coordinates with cosponsoring organizations.