This short-term summer program combines intensive German language classes in the morning with field trips, a visit to a major German company, and service or experiential learning opportunities in the afternoon. The program is offered in conjunction with the University of Heilbronn, IUPUI’s partner in the dual degree program in engineering and German. The area of Heilbronn is known for its innovative technology sector as well as its wine and local tourism industry. It is located on the German Castle Route, close to Heidelberg and Stuttgart. The region is often referred to as the “Swabian Tuscany.”
University of Heilbronn Summer Program
This application has closed.
- Program Organization
A few program highlights:
- Mercedes Benz Museum, Stuttgart
- Boat trip on the Neckar River, visit to Bad Wimpfen (a medieval village)
- Experimenta Museum, Heilbronn (science and technology museum)
- Company tour of Audi
- Visit to Heidelberg and to a local vineyard
- Service learning at “Aufbaugilde Heilbronn”; lab visits for engineering majors
- Program Dates
Dates in Heilbronn, Germany: June 6 - 17, 2016
There will be two mandatory pre-departure meetings prior to departing to Germany.
- Academic Program
3 credit-hours in GER-G 493; counts towards German minor and major. Other students should consult with their academic advisor to determine how the course will apply to their degree.
The available coursework is particularly suited for, but not necessarily limited to, the following academic interests: German, International Studies, Tourism Management, Western European Languages and Cultures, and Engineering and Technology.
- Additional Information
For more information on the program, contact Professor Claudia Grossmann email@example.com (317) 274-3943
All information is subject to change. This site is neither a contract nor an offer to make a contract. The Office of International Affairs reserves the right to change or discontinue a program at will. Please contact our office if you have a disability and need assistance or special arrangements.
- HousingStudents will be housed in a bed and breakfast hotel in the center of Heilbronn at a cost of 35 Euro per night.
- Program Eligibility
You may apply if you:
All applicants must meet IUPUI’s minimum standard eligibility requirements. Additional requirements for this program include:
- This program is only open to IUPUI degree-seeking undergraduate students. The following must be true at the time of submitting your application:
- student is at least a sophomore standing
- student has a minimum GPA of 2.75
- student has completed at least GER-G 119 or GER-G 132 (first year German)
Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant.
Students must be able to demonstrate flexibility, resilience, and self-reliance.
Complete eligibility criteria and selection criteria are outlined within the Academic Policies and Procedures of the Office of Overseas Study. Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant. Students on disciplinary probation during program period are ineligible.
- Costs and Financial Aid