A short description of the program will go here.
Southeast Asia: Art and Culture in Thailand and Cambodia
This application has closed.
- Program Organization
Ten days in Vietnam providing direct and supportive dental care for underserved patients, and providing oral health education aimed at reducing future oral health diseases in an existing health clinic in Ho Chi Minh City, and associated areas directed by the Children’s Hospital II.
Student participation will be based on individual’s skills and interest. IUSD students who are currently in or have finished their clinical years will be allowed to provide direct dental care in the clinics. Students will assist the patient in getting ready for the procedures including obtaining a detailed background and history, seating the patient in the clinic chair, cleaning and preparing the tray for the necessary procedures.
Students will assist each other on a rotating basis while providing dental care. If there are additional students not actively participating in the above process, they will be responsible for inventory management, supplies and aid distribution, and communicating with the patients or their family. A skilled translator is provided each for the clinical portion of the day as well as the non-clinical portion.
- Academic Program
- The International Dental Service-Learning program is part of the newly created Community Based Education (CBE) courses. Students participating in Spring programs will be registered for 3 credit hours in either T672 CBE II - Part II (D2); T772 CBE III - Part II (D3); or T872 CBE IV - Part II (D4). Students participating in Summer programs will be registered for 3 credit hours in either T671 CBE II - Part I (D2); T771 CBE III - Part I (D3); or T872 CBE IV - Part I (D4). Dental students also qualify for clinic attendance credit for active clinic days while in-country.
- Additional Information
For more information about the program, contact:
- John Loeffler email@example.com
Prices and program dates are subject to change, based on in-country needs and ticket prices. The IU School of Dentistry makes a good faith effort to provide the international experience that the students sign up for, however, conditions may change (climatological, political, etc.) which may preclude the students from being able to take part in the international portion of the trip. Last minute changes, for any reason, may cause the student to lose the cost of prepaid travel expenses.
- Students will reside in a hotel located in District 1 of Ho Chi Mihn City.
- Program Eligibility
You may apply if you:
- are an undergraduate student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress
- Registered student in the IU School of Dentistry
- Student must be in good standing with the university with record of previous or current disciplinary action.
- Students must be in good academic standings with the University with no record of remediation in current or the most current classes.
- Students with no current open criminal cases as filed and pursued by local/national law enforcements.
- have taken or are enrolled in $langSemText semester college-level
Students must be able to demonstrate flexibility, resilience, and self-reliance.
Complete eligibility criteria and selection criteria are outlined within the Academic Policies and Procedures of the Office of Overseas Study. Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant. Students on disciplinary probation during program period are ineligible.
- Costs and Financial Aid
- Program Fee: $900 (includes: in-country transportation, all in-country food and lodging)
- Int'l Airfare: $1,900
- Insurance: $30
- Study Abroad Admin. Fee: $76.50
- Total Cost (est.): $2,907 + standard tuition and fees
Financial Aid and Scholarships:
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
Please see our financial aid page for general information and links to additional scholarship opportunities.