This is a strictly non-credit experience for all students.
Application Opens: TBA
- Program Organization
- This is a strictly non-credit experience for all students.
- Medical Missions Student Interest Group (MMSIG) will be organizaing the the trip. MMSIG is the primary Indiana University School of Medicine organization and sponsor of this program.
- For-The-Youth (4TY) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization based in central Indiana will be responsible for on-the-ground transportation, safety, language translations, room, and board.
- Students will have the most intimate interactions possible in a “doctor-patient” relationship—one of the privileges of operating on an individual with a surgically correctable problem. In addition, all individuals from IU will have daily interactions with the staff and physicians at 2 local hospitals in Ho Chi Minh City, the main-base for this service oriented trip. The hospitals are all teaching hospitals.
- Students have the option of attending an additional rural village trip that will include health care screenings and other health care measures.
- Student activities will be based on interest and skills. The students will be participating in a rotating fashion through the surgical theater. We will work with Vietnamese colleagues, exchanging information and technical skills. Students will often act as first assistants. The extent of student participation in surgery will depend on prior knowledge and experience; however, students without clinical experience may observe.
- Students not in the OR will be assigned to other duties including inventory and supply management, educational opportunities, record keeping, fund-raising in Vietnam, working in clinics, participating in soup-kitchens, village clinics, and orphanage visits for well-child exams. Select students will also serve as translators.
- Program Dates
May 21-29, 2016
- Additional Information
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
All information is subject to change. This site is neither a contract nor an offer to make a contract. The Office of International Affairs reserves the right to change or discontinue a program at will. Please contact our office if you have a disability and need assistance or special arrangements.
- HousingStudents will reside in a hotel located in District 1 of Ho Chi Minh City.
- Program Eligibility
You may apply if you:
All applicants must meet IUPUI’s minimum standard eligibility requirements. Additional requirements for this program include:
- Undergraduate, graduate, and professional students from IUPUI and affiliated campuses are eligible to apply.
- Students from any discipline may apply to the program, but student should have an interest in a nursing, medicine, or health related career.
- Students must be in good standing with the University with no record of previous or current disciplinary action.
- Students with no current or opened criminal cases as filed and pursued by local or national law enforcement.
- Students with nationalities other than the United States must provide proof of re-entry visa into the United States. If selected, said student must independently pursue and be able to obtain a re-entry visa into the United States or he/she will not be allowed to travel.
- Students must have a valid passport with expiration date no less than 6 months from the date of return into the United States.
Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant.
Complete eligibility criteria and selection criteria are outlined within the Academic Policies and Procedures of the Office of Overseas Study. Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant. Students on disciplinary probation during program period are ineligible.
- Costs and Financial Aid
The budget is an estimate and is not meant to portray the exact cost of this program.
- Program Fee: $2,100
- (includes airfare, housing, breakfast, and daily lunches)
- Local Transportation: $100
- Insurance: $30
- Passport: $140
Total estimated cost: $2,370
Costs will vary depending on the current exchange rate, airfare, and individual expenditures. Estimate does not include tuition. For information on tuition cost, visit the Office of the Bursar’s Tuition & Fee Estimator. Tuition fees will be affected by your student status at IUPUI.
Financial Aid and Scholarships:
Many financial aid resources for which you are eligible are applicable to program costs. Please contact the administrators who oversee your financial aid and scholarship(s) for details on using these funds for your overseas experience.
Please see our financial aid page for general information and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
- Program Fee: $2,100