Work Abroad

  • Internships

    International internships are an excellent way to apply ideas and theories acquired during your courses to the professional world. They are an opportunity to address personal as well as professional development goals, gain employment skills, and identify your own strengths and preferences while learning within a structured environment. International internships allow you to explore different communication styles and work cultures.

    The Office of Overseas Study can only award internship credit for those internships that are done in conjunction with an academic course that ties the experience together. Nearly all such internships have two components: work in the placement and a related academic project. You cannot earn credit for simply working abroad. Most often internships abroad will provide no salary or monetary compensation.

    IU sponsors a number of programs that include internship components. If you do not find one that fits your needs, please consult our non-IU internship vetting guide which offers guidance about what to look for in a non-IU internship program. For more information on applying to non-IU programs, please consult our non-IU procedures.

  • Teaching Abroad

    Many students teach English abroad either in language institutes, businesses, or on a private tutorial basis. In some locations the pay is quite high, especially Spain and Japan. In many cases, you do not need a work permit but that means you are not an "official" employee which affects your visa status. The Career Development Center has a number of useful resources for locating teaching jobs abroad.

    The following websites might be of interest:

    While many people teach abroad with no formal preparation, training and certification in teaching English as a second language can improve your skills and marketability. The following options are available through IU:

  • Other Work Opportunities

    These resources may be helpful for identifying short-term work experiences overseas. Some of these are affiliated with U.S.-based organizations, while others are work permits with foreign governments.

    • Australian Work & Travel Visa: Allows young people (ages 18-30) to work and travel in Australia for up to one year with a working holiday visa.
    • BUNAC (British Universities North America Club): Provides work permits for Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand and internship placements in Britain for up to 6-12 months.
    • Fulbright U.S. Student Program: Offers research, study, and teaching opportunities in over 140 countries to recent graduates and graduate students.
    • New Zealand Work & Travel Visa: Allows young people (ages 18-30) to work and travel in New Zealand for up to one year with a working holiday visa.
    • Career Development Center: Links to international careers, work abroad, and teaching overseas. 625 N. Jordan, IU Bloomington, (812) 855-0527.