Australia’s oldest city and home to over four million people, Sydney is the capital and financial center of Australia. This summer co-sponsored program offers the opportunity for students to work in a variety of industries within the city. Students take an elective course with other U.S.-based students and an internship seminar at the Arcadia center.
This application has closed.
Summer 2019: 5/29 - 7/13
- Program Organization
- This is an IU Co-Sponsored Program
- Summer Internship Program through Arcadia University's College of Global Studies
- Typical enrollment: 20-40 students from U.S. colleges and universities
- Academic Program
- 3 credit elective course and
- Unpaid, 3-credit internship placement and internship seminar
- ~24 hours / 3 full days per week
- Placements in Sydney's commercial, healthcare, media, or government industries
- 6 IU credits
- 3-credit internship placement with academic seminar, "Work in Thought and Action" (FRST-F 400)
- 3-credit elective course: "Global Economics: Australia in the Asian Century" (ECON-OS 100*), "Environmental Policy & Ethics in Australia" (SPEA-OS 100*), or "Nations: Aboriginal and Australian" (SOC-OS 100*)
*-OS 100 (-OS 300) is the default designation to identify overseas study recorded as 100-level (300-level) undistributed credit that can count in total hours toward graduation and may be able to satisfy major, minor or distributional requirements with the approval of participant's school or the department.
*Note: IU selectively co-sponsors Arcadia program offerings, including the one described on this page, but not all Arcadia tracks/offerings. Please contact Overseas Study for clarification.
- Additional Information
- Fully furnished student apartments
- Program Eligibility
You may apply if you:
- are an undergraduate student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress
- are in at least your fourth full-time semester of college
- have approximately a 3.0 cumulative GPA
Note: Non-U.S. citizens may have significantly different conditions to meet to obtain the required Special Programs Visa for Australia; please inquire to Arcadia University for clarification.
Complete eligibility criteria and selection criteria are outlined within the Academic Policies and Procedures of the Office of Overseas Study. Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant. Students on disciplinary probation during program period are ineligible.
- Costs and Financial Aid
- IU portion of fee: $228.00
- Arcadia portion of fee* paid to IU bursar: $7,250 (academic fees, health insurance, housing, orientation)
- Meals: $605
- See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
*Program fee reflects discounted fee for IU students after benefit of $500 reduction.
Airfare, personal expenses, and vacation travel additional. Initial prepayment of $500 due February 11, 2019.
Financial Aid and Scholarships:
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- For Business students: Kelley School of Business Overseas Study Scholarships
Please see our financial aid page for general information and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
- Program Contacts
Student Services Coordinator
Helps students navigate the application process and coordinates with cosponsoring organizations.