Based in Santiago, a provincial city 90 minutes from the coast, the co-sponsored Community Public Health summer program includes coursework in healthcare issues, Spanish language, and a field-based practicum. Students take courses with other participants from U.S. universities and study on the Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra campus.
Community Public Health Summer
This application has closed.
Summer 2019: 6/15 - 8/11
- Program Organization
- This is an IU Co-Sponsored Program
- Summer Program with Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) at the Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra
- Typical enrollment: 25-30 students from U.S. colleges and universities
- Academic Program
- "Community Public Health" program track*
- All courses taught in Spanish
- 10 IU credits
- Pre-Professional Healthcare Issues (4 cr.): SPH-B 350 or HISP-S 412
- Community Health Practicum (3 cr.): SPH-B 350 or HISP-OS 300
- Spanish language course (3 cr.): HISP-S 317
*Note: IU selectively co-sponsors CIEE program offerings, including the one described on this page, but not all CIEE tracks/offerings. Please contact Overseas Study for clarification.
- Additional Information
- Program Eligibility
You may apply if you:
- are an undergraduate student at any Indiana University campus who is making normal academic progress
- are in at least your second full-time semester of college
- have taken or are enrolled in fourth semester college-level Spanish with a B average
- have approximately a 2.75 cumulative GPA
Complete eligibility criteria and selection criteria are outlined within the Academic Policies and Procedures of the Office of Overseas Study. Selection is based on maturity, seriousness of purpose, and appropriateness of match between program and applicant. Students on disciplinary probation during program period are ineligible.
- Costs and Financial Aid
- IU portion of fee: $228.00
- CIEE portion of fee*: $7,837.50 (includes academic fees, housing, all meals, orientation, field trips and insurance)
- International Airfare: CIEE estimates $550 for East Coast departures
- See IU Fee Sheet for additional cost and payment details.
*Special discounted CIEE fee for IU students. Based on published CIEE materials. Indiana University cannot guarantee the prices charged by CIEE and is not responsible for any price increase or change. Program qualifies for need-based CIEE Overseas Study Program Specific Scholarships. Applications should be submitted to Overseas Study at the time of program application.
Airfare, personal expenses and vacation travel additional. Initial prepayment of $500 due March 8, 2019.
Financial Aid and Scholarships:
- IU scholarships, grants and loans applicable to program costs with some exceptions. Please carefully check these exceptions before you commit to a program.
- CIEE scholarships and grants available.
Please see our financial aid page for general information and links to additional scholarship opportunities.
- Program Contacts